Origins Game Fair Tournament Rules for DropFleet Commander
The tournament will happen in the SGG area in the Miniatures Hall, please bring the following with you:
– Fleet (all of your ships, stands and counters and other materials you need for playing)
– Dice – any and all dice you need to play – if you bring metal or large dice, please bring a rolling tray or dice tower to roll your dice in.
– 5 copies of your fleet list – one for each of your 3 opponents and 1 for the tournament organizer(TO). Please drop the TO copy off on arrival.
– A desire to have fun and enjoy your day.
Having a painted fleet is encouraged but not required. Ships need to be “what you see is what you get”.
2 1/2 hour rounds – first round will be completed prior to lunch, paint judging will happen during lunch, then the second and third rounds will happen with a roughly 30 minute break between the second and third round.
Missions – Take and Hold, Moonshot, Station Assault
Certificates will be awarded for the following categories:
1) Best painted fleet
2) Best sportsman
3) Tournament winner
The painting scores will not impact the tournament scores at all. Please leave your fleet on your table at the end of round 1 for judging, if you don’t want to enter the painting competition, feel free to pack up your fleet during lunch. We will be taking pictures of the games throughout the day, please be nice to our photographer when she is taking pictures. These pictures will end up on our website, Facebook and social media sites. If you don’t want to have pictures taken or you don’t want to be in the pictures, please just inform the photographer.
During lunch an SGG team member will watch the tables at all times.
In addition these Experimental Rules will be in play:
Change #2, New Optional Tournament Scoring Suggestions
1) Kill Points contribution to Victory Points. This scoring modifier can be added to any scenario in the game (we would suggest using it as standard for most games).
At the end of the game, count up the total number of KP inflicted on your opponent. Add the following VP to your total if appropriate (both players do this):
0-499 KP – +0VP
500-799 KP – +2VP
800-999 KP – +3VP
1000+ KP – +4VP
2) Destroyed Sectors VP modifier: Clusters drop by one scoring level (i.e. Large down to Medium – see pg 74) for each destroyed Sector in that Cluster down to a minimum of Small.
3) Very small ships and scoring: Ships of 3 Hull Points or less do not contribute their Tonnage when scoring for Critical Locations.
Change #3, Shaking off Bombers Change
1) Pg 64, Maneuver: Change the dice roll required to shake o Launch Assets from a 4+ to a 5+. Torpedoes are still removed permanently on a roll of 6.
Change #4, Crippling and Particle Rules Combo
Rationale: So far, this change only applies to one ship (the Diamond) but may apply in future to other ships. This is quite a small change and simply makes the outcome of a Crippling roll from this ship’s main gun likely rather than almost certain. 1) Pg 69, Crippling, End of Section, Add the following: If a weapon with the Crippling rule is affected by another rule while would make Critical Hits automatic (such as the Particle rule) then the roll you would have needed to achieve to a Critical Hit is the roll required for the Crippling rule to take effect. For example, a Lock 3+ weapon would need a 5 or 6 to make an additional roll on the Crippling table.
Change #5, Increasing the E effectiveness of PHR Heavy Calibre Weapons
Rationale: In general, these weapons have been somewhat underwhelming to players. As a result, the following change to the Calibre rule is proposed:
1) Pg 67, Calibre, add the following sentence: ‘In addition, weapons with the Calibre H and/ or S rule inflict Critical Hits on rolls exceeding their Lock value by ONE rather than the usual two (against targets of any Tonnage value).
Change #6, Admirals and Ships
Rationale: Putting your Admiral in a corvette and sinking to Atmosphere early game at the back of the table is hardly cinematic or in the spirit of the game! In addition (and contributing thematically while encouraging the use of Battleships), bonuses will be given for putting your Admiral in a large and imposing vessel.
1) Pg 71, Admirals, Add the following paragraph: Your Admiral may be placed in any ship in your feet with a Tonnage value of M, H or S. If placed in a ship of Tonnage H you may upgrade your Admiral 1 level (up to the maximum allowed
by the game size) for free. If placed in a ship of Tonnage S you may upgrade your Admiral 2 levels (up to the maximum allowed by the game size) for free.
Change #8, General Balancing Adjustments to Specific Ships
Pg 109, New York: Increase Fighters and Bombers Load to 7
pg 114, St Petersburg, Cobra Heavy Lasers, add the following special rule: ‘Siphon Power’ – If ring only one of these two weapons, increase its Burnthrough value to Burnthrough(8).
Pg 151, Charybdis, Plasma Bombs: Increase this weapon’s lock value to 3+
Pg 151, Scylla, Reverse-Grav Cannon: Increase this weapon’s lock value to 3+
Pg 170, Hector, Medium Calibre Broadsides: Both gain the ‘Linked-1’ rule
Pg 171, Achilles, Heavy Calibre Broadsides: Both gain the ‘Linked-1’ rule
Pg 175, Orion, Medium Calibre Broadsides: Both gain the ‘Linked-1’ rule
Pg 178, Ikarus, Medium Calibre Batteries: Both gain the ‘Linked-1’ rule
Pg 181, Calypso, Advanced ECM Suite rule, Change 1st Sentence to: ‘Once per turn, when an enemy group has allocated Attack Dice, you may add 1 to the Lock values of this group’s weapons this turn against a single friendly ship within 4” of the Calypso.
Pg 199, Diamond: Increase pts to 290
Pg 212, Topaz: Reduce pts to 37
Pg 212, Jade, Particle Lance: Increase the Lock value of this weapon to 2+
Pg 213, Amethyst: Change the Attack value of the weapon ‘Microwave Array’ from ‘D3+2’ to ‘D3+1’
Pg 214, Glass, Ion Lances: Add the ‘Close Action’ special rule to this weapon